Alpha Build (v 0.0.5)
about 1 month ago
– Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 10:23:05 PM
Hello everyone! Hope all is well!
After a LOT of work, we are very happy to announce a new backer exclusive Alpha release for Age of Grit. You can find the relevant link for your platform of choice below:
Boy howdy! This build was quite a doozy! We had hoped to have it out before Christmas, but a large number of game breaking bugs reared their ugly heads at the last minute. It's one thing for the game to run smoothly inside the Unity editor, but it's an entirely different matter for the build to do likewise. After no small amount of anguish (and a few keyboards karate chopped in frustration) we've finally got to a point where the build is functional and playable.
A few bugs remain (see below) and some of the UI needs work, but that this point we're roughly 95% feature complete as far as game functionality goes. There's also a lot of content to add: balancing weapons/ships, adding more towns/NPCs/jobs...not to mention the adding the entire main story line. So this is an important milestone but there's plenty of work left to be done.
If you weren't aware, our second Kickstarter was sadly unsuccessful. After this unpleasantness we had to step back and reevaluate our plans. After some soul searching we have decided the best option now is to release the Age of Grit Beta on Steam Early Access. Hopefully we will thereby earn the funds we need to fully complete the game. We are already approved by Valve and will have a coming soon page up shortly--look for that in our next update.
Our plan is for the beta to comprise "Chapter 1" of the game, with a play time of about 1-3 hours.
When we get to the beta all of you will of course receive free Steam keys to play the game on your platform of choice. And if anyone out there isn't a fan of Steam for some reason then contact us and we can send you a direct link to the game file.
In between now and then we plan to release a couple more alpha builds to you, our treasured backers. Your feedback is critical as we progress forward. It also will keep us focused on adding meaningful benefits to the player experience--content and features that will actually improve the game for players.
We mentioned some remaining bugs. Here are some of the known issues with the current alpha build:
- The Map looks off. The resolution settings aren't quite right for the world map, so it's a bit fuzzy. This is something we could spend more time fixing, but we are actually about to replace the map with an entirely new one. We're just putting the finishing touches on it and it's looking really cool.
- Shop UI is a terrible fever dream. This is a bit of a weird bug--the shops looks fine within Unity, but when run in the actual build of the game it's...well less than fine. It's functional, it just looks like a nightmare.
- Overworld log doesn't print. There's a travel log in the Overworld that inexplicably isn't printing. This is another one of those issues that doesn't manifest in Unity but magically shows up in the actual game.
- Sometimes all/most of a town's NPCs disappear after a conversation. This isn't super common but it is known to happen. We are trying to nail down the cause of this issue.
These bugs will be resolved by our next alpha build. We could have put off this release to fix them, but we didn't want to delay things any further. And since they aren't game breaking bugs so we decide to release now.
If you come across further issues press F12 in the game--this will bring up our reporting tool. Be as detailed as you can in describing the issue. You can also use this tool to just tell us your general thoughts and feedback. And as always you can email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for the support! Hope you have fun with the build!